Tuesday, February 23, 2010

THE WATERLOO MARKET

Since the 35 years I now live in Waterloo, there was always market on sundays. Of course at that time it was a little farmer's market very familiar where everybody knew everybody and besides vegetables there was nothing else to sell.

But with the years other things were added, clothing, antiques, books, cleaning products etc. and it became a quiet big market where people from other little towns around are coming each sunday too.

It is also a place to meet people and chat and often after shopping they gather in a café to have a beer or a glass of wine together. In summer the terrace is open and also seats on the sidewalk. The market is a social event and very much appreciated by British and American people living in Waterloo or around.

The weather was quiet cold because of a little wind.

but it didn't bother the shoppers

freshly baked bread of all kinds

For those who don't like to cook on sundays there are a big choice of freshly prepared food, like Lasagne, moussaka, Tartiflette etc.

Lots of people buy their Sunday chicken here, well roasted and well spiced.

You can also buy homemade pasta, spaghettis, raviolis, etc

a closer look. There is a lot of choice, even Raviolis filled with truffels !

fish, and seafood

plastic table cloth

He wanted me to buy potatoes !

scarfs, bonnets and gloves

the other side of the market

handmade soap and parfums

antiques

Thai food, the white bag is mine, I bought our Sunday supper it was excellent

lots of colorful stands.

and cheeeeeese !

Before I returned home I met a neighbors couple, a friend of my painting course, and some other people. When I came home I heard "where have you been so long ?" Sunday market is always fun.

Maybe you noticed that I made a new template with 3 columns. Please take the two seconds to give me an idea ! thank you.

13 comments:

Indrani said...

Great views of your Sunday market. :)
I liked your new layout, though it took a little longer time to download, but looks great.

Loree said...

I love markets. There is always so much to see ... and buy :)

Unknown said...

Just my kind of place - I love farmer's markets.

My name is Riet said...

I love markets, especialy on a sunny day. Love love the roasted chickens

Hilda said...

Gattina! So wonderful to see you in CDP! Made me smile seeing your blog in the thumbnails there.

This market looks absolutely fantastic! Homemade pastas and soaps, scarves and cheeses — my purse would get seriously depleted here!

Cezar and Léia said...

Hello sweet Gattina
Your new template is great!
I'm enchanted by your header picture as well.
This market looks a great idea for a Sunday day trip.I need to convince Cezar to take me there.I liked a lot!
Thanks for all clues and beautiful pictures.
By the way, did you buy those potatoes? :)
Hugs
Léia

Maribeth said...

Oh yeah, gimme the cheese!!!! I believe I am part mouse!

Rajesh said...

Beautiful market, with excellent choice for everyone.

LadyFi said...

Mmmm... looks like a delicious Sunday market!

Barbara said...

Lots of variety at the Sunday market!

Japa said...

A compelling market here. Beautiful photos too.

Trotter said...

Hi Gattina! So, did you buy the potatoes? ;)
A bit weird the three column...

Meanwhile, Blogtrotter 2 is in Haiti. Hope you enjoy and have a great weekend!!

Maria said...

What a nice market! I love the idea that it opens on Sundays. Here the markets open on Saturdays, but Sundays would be more fun I think!
Have a nice week, Gattina! Best regards from Vienna!

Translate

About Me

My photo
I love writing, traveling and photography. . I am German, married to an Italian and we live in Waterloo (15 km from Brussels) / Belgium since many years. Waterloo is a famous place to many tourists, because Napoleon lost his battle here against Wellington and other European countries.

Followers

Pageviews from the past week

Blog Archive