Tuesday, August 17, 2010

SISTINE CHAPEL - GORING-by-Sea, UK

I learned something new ! I knew that one Sistine Chapel Ceiling exists in the Vatican City in Rome, which was painted in 1508 by Michelangelo. But during my stay with my friends in England, I learned that there was a second one, which was painted in 1988 by Gary Bevans who, after a visit to Rome had the idea to paint the ceiling of Sistine Chapel Reproduction in the catholic church of the English Martyrs, Goring-by-Sea.

When we went there and I entered the church I still didn't believe that it was possible to paint in the same way, until I saw it with my own eyes ! Unbelievable, what an artwork ! If you want to read the whole story about the Sistine Chapel in Goring just look here.

The church looks so simple from outside that I first thought it was a private house

but then inside I discovered a treasure ! Parts of the church of course looked completely normal until you looked up !

The inside of the church

and the unbelievable ceiling painting. Of course different in the themes but the same style of painting. The paintings all concern the Old Testament part of the Bible.

The little town of Goring-by-Sea was also nice to see and we had a nice lunch there in a local Pub.

15 comments:

LifeRamblings said...

what an interesting looking church, so colourful and appealing. love the detailed frescoes, the ones found in other Europe cathedrals are amazing too.

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, I had no idea. And I was near Goring in the UK on my recent trip over.

Love the ceiling - just amazing! Marvellous shots.

BraCom said...

Thank you for sharing these beautiful and interesting photos

Have a nice week,
Greetings, Bram

My WordPress Blog

Seen om My World Tuesday

Julie said...

It certainly is a remarkable achievement. I wonder how long it took the artist (Gary) to paint the ceiling. MOre so to design what he was going to paint. And to learn the style.

It is remarkable and in such an ordinary looking building from the outside ...

Jossie said...

The church has many hidden treasures. What a wonderful post.

Gwendolyn L said...

What a wonderful discovery. Who would guess. Thanks for pointing out this location, I'll look for it if I am ever in the vicinity. Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos.

Maribeth said...

What a beautiful ceiling! I would like to lie on a pew bench and stare for hours at it.

Sylvia K said...

What a lovely church -- very ordinary from the outside and inside until you look up at the ceiling and WOW! That's fantastic! Terrific photos, Gattina! Hope your week is off to a good start! Enjoy!

Sylvia

Noel Morata said...

aloha,

what an amazing feat to actually do a copy like this, of course on a smaller scale but still quite a task, very cool

A Lady's Life said...

This is certainly a beautiful ceiling
What a find!!!

Trotter said...

Hi Gattina! I wonder what drives people to copy? ;))

Blogtrotter Two managed to get inside a cave and take pictures there; enjoy the mites and tites and have a great week!

Melli said...

Gorgeous! Just gorgeous! And so unusual to find decorative details like that in a modern church!

Cheryl said...

Gattina, these photos and montages are gorgeous.

Trotter said...

Hi Gattina! Not interested in caves? Blogtrotter Two waits for you in Neptune’s… Enjoy and have a great week!

Andy said...

Hello Gattina,
you have a lovely webpage here and we have a lot in common. I have seen the lovely church in Goring-by-sea, too. Whenever I visit my friends in Worthing I go and look at it again. And I love cats, too. So I enjoyed looking at your interesting webpage. I am from Winterberg in Germany.
Bye for now
Andy

Translate

About Me

My photo
I love writing, traveling and photography. . I am German, married to an Italian and we live in Waterloo (15 km from Brussels) / Belgium since many years. Waterloo is a famous place to many tourists, because Napoleon lost his battle here against Wellington and other European countries.

Followers

Pageviews from the past week

Blog Archive