Tuesday, May 29, 2012

AROUND THE CENTRAL STATION IN AMSTERDAM

I had to go to Amsterdam for babysitting purposes. On my way back I left my son's house early with the intention to stroll a little bit through Amsterdam. Unfortunately it was very cold and very windy and I was almost blown away.

Therefore I only took a few pictures of what you see when you arrive in Amsterdam Central station and took the next train back to Brussels.





The central station



and some beautiful details



You have to cross this bridge to get into the center



Sightseeing boats are waiting for you to drive you through the canals



Despite the cold and windy weather there were already quiet a lot of tourists waiting



Besides the sightseeing boats there are also all kind of other boats



Buildings along the canal



and the other side





Getting into the center

Before you move around I suggest to increase your life insurance ! There are thousands of cyclists who cycle around paying no attention to whatever, either cars or pedestrians, who just have to hop aside.



bicycles,



bicycles











and more bicycles

I survived and catched my train !

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

That station is so impressive! Love all the bikes.

Jim said...

What a great post.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Linens and Royals said...

How do people find their own bike in the middle of all those bikes, or do they just take the first one they can reach?
I would love a ride on one of the canal boats, Amsterdam looks such an interesting city.

Unknown said...

Beautiful city!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

diane b said...

You have captured Amsterdam's iconic city well. The canals, boats, bicycles and the lovely station building. I know what you're saying about the bicycles. I nearly got run over on that bridge. (Yes, I'm home)

Maribeth said...

Great shots! I think I am so sore from planting the garden, I could not bike ride if I wanted to!

genie said...

The tray station is a beautiful piece of old architecture. The sculptures on it are lovely. Lots of boats and LOTS of bicycles. I do not remember seeing that many of them in one place. Those shots are impressive. You give such a nice picture of Amsterdam. genie

Loree said...

I have never seen so many bicycles in my life. That is great that you can just catch a train and go to Amsterdam. I wish we could do that :( BTW we got to Caltagirone from Catania by bus but you can also take a train.

Sallie (FullTime-Life.com said...

I don't think there are that many bicycles in all of Florida (sadly)...wow, that is an amazingly big city.

A Lady's Life said...

I took a ride on one of those canal boats it was fun and I was also impressed with the outdoor cafees and the fact they allowed dogs to eat with you and cats also were welcome.
It was totally different from where we lived.

Fun60 said...

Those photos brought back memories of Amsterdam. I remember the hundreds of bicycles outside the station. I had never seen so many. I couldn't work out how you would be able to find your own bike. We obviously travel to similar places. Thanks for your comments on my blog.

Lifecruiser Travel said...

Oh, I really love the station building, sooo beautiful architecture. I remember that it was nice, but not all those ornaments. Lovely. Yeah, the bikers I remembered very well, to have to look out for them all the time!

LindyLouMac said...

This lovely post reminded me of how much I want to visit Amsterdam. Love all the bikes!

Chrissy Brand said...

A wonderful montage- that top photo of the station brings back memories and you have a great angle on it Gattina.

Translate

About Me

My photo
I love writing, traveling and photography. . I am German, married to an Italian and we live in Waterloo (15 km from Brussels) / Belgium since many years. Waterloo is a famous place to many tourists, because Napoleon lost his battle here against Wellington and other European countries.

Followers

Pageviews from the past week

Blog Archive