Tuesday, August 07, 2012

STONEHENGE

Before I went to Eastbourne to spend a few days with my friends at the English South East coast, I took a sightseeing coach in London to visit Stonehenge. I had always wanted to see it, but never did. 

Nobody really knows the true meaning of this ancient, awe-inspiring creation, it has been lost in the mists of time. Was Stonehenge a temple for sun worship, a healing centre, a burial site or perhaps a huge calendar? How did people manage to carry the mighty stones, using only the most primitive of tools, to build this amazing structure?

I don't want to copy the history of Stonehenge, so if you want to know more about Stonehenge you can read it here



the bus ride took about one hour and a half despite the fact that I had choosen the 26th July to visit  Stonehenge, without thinking about the Olympic games, just the day before the opening which was the next day ! 



There were many other people who had the same idea. The countryside around Stonehenge is very beautiful too.



The driver took us to the entrance where we got phones and then we had also 1 1/2 h to walk around and listen to the explanation. I just listened a bit, but then I prefered to just watch and see, there is a quiet special atmosphere around even with the many tourists.



and then I saw it. How impressive sitting there in the middle of this green flat landscape, with nothing around.




I walked towards these huge stones





and asked somebody to take a picture of me as a "evidence" that I really had been there



Crows loved the stones too



and one stood there alone just besides the others



It looks as if all people were busy with their mobile phone, but they only listened to the explanation.



On my way back I saw this wall painting of the site how it probably looked like






and a scenery how it was probably built.



I had seen this woman wandering around in a white long dress, a flower crown on her head and a stick with a strange top. I saw her talking to many people. When I sat down to have a cup of tea she suddenly came to my table and asked if she could join me. I was surprised and very curious to what she had to say. She then told me that she is a Pagan and comes here every day the whole year through and talked to people and that she was very tired now. Anyway I had to go back to join the others so I couldn't really listen to her philosophy.





The different shades of green look so peaceful ! The white little spots were grazing sheep.



and driving back to London I saw this poppy field. From far it looked like a field on fire.

15 comments:

A Lady's Life said...

Wow Impressive.
I love how Stone Henge looks from afar. The poppy field was spectacular and that Pagan Lady coming every day to talk to people, what was that all about? hmmm.

Fun60 said...

Stonehenge is such a strange site. It just seems to emerge from nowhere. Like you I prefer to just look and observe what is around me rather than listen to a commentary. Your photos were excellent and really captured some of the atmosphere surrounding Stonehenge.

Linens and Royals said...

I saw Stonehenge in the seventies when it was not so much a tourist place and it was possible to walk among the stones and touch them. Just to look at them is amazing and the country around so beautiful. Pagan woman must have a story to tell. It would be an interesting place to hang around all day.

cloudbusting2 said...

This was a really xcellent visit to Stonehenge, thanks! It couldn't have been documented better than that. I have been thinking about seeing it myself some day as well. Maybe the pagan woman will still be there. I thought that you can only see it from far away but you were quite close.

Rajesh said...

Wonderful shots of the place, a view to history.

diane b said...

It is an amazing place and fills you with wonder. The day we were there it was raining and blowing a gale that made it seem spooky. I love the blazing red poppy field.

LindyLouMac said...

It was lovely to have you feature Stonehenge and read and see in your photos how interesting you found your visit. I think I mentioned to you before that we have family living fairly nearby.

carol l mckenna said...

Wow! Gattina ~ lovely post and fantastic photography ~ well done ~ and you travel alone ~ I must try that some time ~ (A Creative Harbor)

Anonymous said...

I remember visiting Stonehenge as a child. Lovely shots of this ancient place.

Maribeth said...

How wonderful! Beautiful pictures. I was there many years ago.
Welcome home by the way. I'll write you an email when I get back from the dentist later today. Much to tell you!

Molly said...

I am ashamed to say I have lived all my life in the UK and never been to Stonehenge. However seeing your pictures made me realise that I must change this sometime soon so thank you, you have inspired me to add another destination to my 'journeys I must take' list.

Mollyxxx

Loree said...

I would really love to visit Stonehenge. It has been one of my dreams since childhood. I know I will make it one day. Your photos are lovely - especially the last one.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Great tour! I've actually never seen current pictures from anyone before (just the old ones in the history books like you have copies of)...I'd like to see it someday.

NatureStop said...

Interesting place I enjoyed your tour.Thanks for sharing. Have a great day!

Shnatana

ZielonaMila said...

Fantastic photographs, beautiful and interesting place. I am greeting

Translate

About Me

My photo
I love writing, traveling and photography. . I am German, married to an Italian and we live in Waterloo (15 km from Brussels) / Belgium since many years. Waterloo is a famous place to many tourists, because Napoleon lost his battle here against Wellington and other European countries.

Followers

Pageviews from the past week

Blog Archive