Thursday, August 09, 2012

LONDON IN OLYMPIC FEVER

Before I returned home to Brussels, after having visited the London Tower, I took 3 buses to return to St. Pancras International, where I catched the Eurostar train.

The ride on the buses allowed me to do a sightseeing tour through London in a very special atmosphere : the celebration of the Olympics 2012.



The city was packed with tourists from all over the world, and the streets were empty except for taxis and buses and some delivery vans.



London bridge decorated for the Olympics





This bus was just in front of mine



People taxis and buses, that's all you could see on the streets







There were special "Games Lanes"




Quiet a lot of people had their faces painted with the British Flag







and of course the flags of all countries were hanging over the streets





Some taxis choose the flag's colors



and the Barcley's bank at St. Pancras had a special dress too



Lots of publicity around the station






It was impossible to miss the Olympic Park !



When people arrived they were taken to these barriers, and had to line up like cattle, to bring them all safely to the Olympic Park. Only I didn't want to go there and I asked one of the countless Tourist information guides where I could find the tube to Tower Hill, she looked at me as if I had asked her the way to the moon. "Are you sure you don't want to go to see the Olympics ?" "No, I said I want to see the Crown Jewels !" Then, she said you have to ask in the tube station.



The Tourists guides were all dressed in special uniforms, either pink or yellow and some in little stalls in black.



St. Pancras International station where the athletes arrived too



and from outside

The city was very very well organized and even a blind person would have found his way to the Olympics ! All people very helpful and there was a quiet cheerful feeling in the air !

19 comments:

Fun60 said...

It certainly is difficult not to realise the Olympics are on here. I hope you enjoyed your little bit of Olympic fever.

Jenny said...

What great photos and memories you'll keep. I'm glued to the t.v. and will have withdrawal next week, I'm sure. xo Jenny

diane b said...

You have captured the olympic spirit well. What a great time you chose to go to Eastbourne. Were cars banned from all the streets?

Linens and Royals said...

Great photos of a very patriotic London. I think you must have been upstairs at the front of the bus again.

Unknown said...

I loved getting to tour London through your amazing pictures.

Kay L. Davies said...

A great tour of London, Gattina, and I'm still laughing about you telling the guide you didn't want to see the Olympics! Wonderful.
K

Esther Joy said...

Awwhhh, you showed us scenes that we miss while watching the Olympics on television. Thank you for capturing the British pride and the "feel" that exists in the city!

Susan Anderson said...

Thanks, Gattina! Next best thing to being there...

=)

A Lady's Life said...

England is sure doing a wonderful job this year. One event after another keeping people busy and happy.
I am sure you came home with many special memories.:)

debra said...

Great tour! :) love the pics!

storybeader said...

I love all the flags flying! Thanks for giving us a different view from the city we all saw on television! {:-Deb

Kat said...

What a great tour of London you gave us Gattina and I loved your reply to the tourist guide about not wanting to see the Olympics! But you can't miss it can you?

Lovely post.

Anonymous said...

the best part about games like Olympics is if they break a world record, the energy you feel from the crowd cannot be duplicated under any other circumstances


lamb's wool

claudie said...

All people are looking for the Olympics, now! But just a woman isn't interesting! who ? Gattina!!! Hihi! I imagine they were surprised! You are an excellent guide Gattina! Thanks to give us a vision about the atmosphere in London!! Would want to be there!

Lmkazmierczak said...

Love all the behind the scenes scenes♫♪

Splendid Little Stars said...

Thanks for sharing these! I do love watching the Olympics and this was such a wonderful tour of the host city!

anitamombanita said...

how fun. lucky you!

LindyLouMac said...

I enjoyed seeing the streets like this, how great if they were this clear all the time.

Jenny said...

How fun!

I loved the sign on the back of the bus!

And all the other candid shots!

It was fascinating following along this year.

Thanks for sharing these lovely pictures.

A+

Translate

About Me

My photo
I love writing, traveling and photography. . I am German, married to an Italian and we live in Waterloo (15 km from Brussels) / Belgium since many years. Waterloo is a famous place to many tourists, because Napoleon lost his battle here against Wellington and other European countries.

Followers

Pageviews from the past week

Blog Archive