Tuesday, September 12, 2017

BUNRATTY


Expat tours

If you do a 7 day tour around a country of course you can't see everything in details. It just gives you an overview of things to see or to do if you want to come back later.

A very pleasant stop was Bunratty Folk Park which gave me the  taste of what village life was like back in the castle’s glory days.

Bunratty Castle and Folk Park is really worthwhile to see !  The Castle is the most complete and authentic medieval fortress in Ireland. Built in 1425 it was restored in 1954 to its former splendor and now contains mainly 15th and 16th century furnishings, tapestries, and works of art capturing the mood of those times. I couldn't take photos, the light was too bad without flash.

Bunratty Folk Park, is set on 10 ha (26 acres), and  is a stunning recreation of 19th Century Ireland and features various types of farmhouses, a church, a magical walled garden and village street complete with pub, post office and various shops.

The Bunratty Collection features over 450 items of medieval furniture and artefacts housed at Bunratty Castle.


Bunratty castle.

I climbed up a narrow circular stair, managed to do two floors and then gave up.  For me it was more interesting outside, old castle furniture and artifacts I have at home too.



Indeed when you walk through the village you are taken back in time !



I loved the blue house it looked so cheerful. But I think that life at that time was less cheerful !



Other houses and a stable block. The houses had a number and were explained in a folder.



This was a house of a rich farmer with servants.



A look in the living, bedroom and kitchen



where a lady was busy to peel apples for an apple pie !



The farmers helper's house was less luxurious, it was very small and he had to sleep on a straw bed.



There were shops and well maintained gardens



and even a post office !



We sat down and listen too the music after a walk through the main street.




I was very much impressed how the walls were built without any cement ! They just kept balance !



For children was a fairy village with a witch I had been told, but as I am afraid of witches I didn't go in there.


referring to OUR WORLD here

5 comments:

Little Wandering Wren said...

She might have been a friendly witch! What a lovely spot, I love the name as well Bunratty Castle!
Have a good week.
Wren x

Rajesh said...

Wonderful tour of the castle and folk park.

Photo Cache said...

We are planning on a 7 day trip to Ireland in the next few months and I could use all the help I can get.

Worth a Thousand Words

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I really love learning history in this way and always remember what I learned so much better than I would reading -- this looks like such an interesting place.

R's Rue said...

Great.

Translate

About Me

My photo
I love writing, traveling and photography. . I am German, married to an Italian and we live in Waterloo (15 km from Brussels) / Belgium since many years. Waterloo is a famous place to many tourists, because Napoleon lost his battle here against Wellington and other European countries.

Followers

Pageviews from the past week

Blog Archive