Tuesday, July 21, 2015

MOULIN BANAL MILL AND CASTLE OF BRAINE LE CHATEAU

Not very far from where I live I discovered this old mill which dates from the 18th century and has recently become a tourist attraction.

The mill as we see it today is made of arkose stone and local brick. The buildings have been redesigned and enlarged in the eighteenth century (a beam inside the mill is dated from 1777). It has been  restored in 1972 and also became a museum of milling. It still has a paddle wheel that activates a mechanism which is in very good condition.











The mill seen from the front



This stone ring lay in front of the entrance




The back



The turning wheel made a lot of noise !



From the bridge you could see the water rushing down and came out on the other side






The mill was surrounded by beautiful green fields and from very far I saw some donkeys.



Opposite the fields I discovered a castle when I was looking through the woods.

Of course it made me curious and I looked for the entrance which was a little further down the mill.

The castle belonged for 232 yeards to the counts of Hornes. The origin of the castle dates back to the 12th century. Its oldest part is the dungeon which has 2.10 m thick walls. Ever since the castle has had several faceliftigs over the centuries.

In 1835 the count Rubiano bought the castle. He was the ancestor of the current owner Count Cornet de Ways Rauart. The last person who lived in this castle was the 90 year old countess who died in 1998. None of the 3 children wants to live in there anymore. Only one apartment is still used by the family for holiday purposes. Today it's impossible to keep such a castle without  allowing paying visitors to come and see how the nobles once lived.




It looked already very imposing from far



and even more at a closer look



On the facade the date is written but one number is missing. it probably should be 1684 or 6.



The gate



One of the dongeons



view from one side



and the other





The castle is surrounded by a very beautiful and well kept park




The stables



 and even an old swimming pool from better times was there



The house of the guards.


15 comments:

Indrani said...

I enjoy visiting old places. Loved to see the pics in your posts.

Little Wandering Wren said...

Hi Gattina

This is like stepping back in time for me in more ways than one! I have loved joining you on your visit to Braine le chateau today.
Have a happy week
Wren x

Little Wandering Wren said...

Hi Gattina

This is like stepping back in time for me in more ways than one! I have loved joining you on your visit to Braine le chateau today.
Have a happy week
Wren x

Little Wandering Wren said...

Hi Gattina

This is like stepping back in time for me in more ways than one! I have loved joining you on your visit to Braine le chateau today.
Have a happy week
Wren x

Little Wandering Wren said...

Hi Gattina

This is like stepping back in time for me in more ways than one! I have loved joining you on your visit to Braine le chateau today.
Have a happy week
Wren x

eileeninmd said...

Hello Gattina, I love the old mill and the cool wheel. And the castle and it's grounds are lovely. I would love to explore there myself. Wonderful photos. Have a happy week!

Anonymous said...

Really interesting. Old mills are wonderful.

Tessa~ Here there be musing said...

How lucky you are, to live where there are so many, many ancient places, to visit.

I love the country of my birth, but would love to have been able to experience the history of other countries.

Thank you for "taking me places" which I will not see, myself.

Tessa

Photo Cache said...

The photos of the mill reeks history. Nice.

Worth a Thousand Words

Anonymous said...

What a pretty place!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

It's quite lovely, even if some of it is in disrepair. But wasn't it great fun to find a new place so close to your home? I love when that happens!

Sandra Carlier said...

What a charming place and how fantastic to discover historical monuments when visiting local places ! I just can repeat what I say each time to you : you live in a fabulous place, where nature and history are very pregnant !

Louisette said...

Wonderfull places to visit or walking.
http://louisette.eklablog.com/ blog my city Mons Be

Gracie said...

A very beautiful place. It reminds me of the castle of Egeskov in Denmark, so much alike.

Gracie said...

What a beautiful place! It reminds me of the Egeskov castle in Denmark, so much alike!

Translate

About Me

My photo
I love writing, traveling and photography. . I am German, married to an Italian and we live in Waterloo (15 km from Brussels) / Belgium since many years. Waterloo is a famous place to many tourists, because Napoleon lost his battle here against Wellington and other European countries.

Followers

Pageviews from the past week

Blog Archive