Tuesday, September 11, 2012

HUY - A LITTLE TOWN ALONG THE RIVER MEUSE

As the weather was so nice we did a little excursion to Huy a cute little old town. It lies in the country's Walloon Region and Province of Liege, along the river Meuse.

Huy is also home to the finish of "the Flèche Wallonne" (Walloon Arrow).

You can read more about Huy here



When you arrive in Huy, the first thing you see sitting high above the city is the "Citadelle de Huy" (Citadel of Huy) As I couldn't take a decent picture, I prefered to show you a drawing.



I parked the car and then we strolled through the old narrow streets of Huy.



and arrived at the townsquare just in front of the city hall.



The square was surrounded by old houses and lots of restaurants and cafés.






We saw the "Bassinia" fountain, in a glass house, I couldn't find out why.



Originally it looked like this.



We also sat down and had a cool glass of beer, very much appreciated in the heat.



There also was this strange "house" standing there. First I didn't know what it was, until I saw on the other side "entrance".



I suppose it should tell us how to built a house or a shed with recuperation stuff.

Walking slowly back to the car we returned home. Huy is about 90 km ( 56 miles) from Brussels

9 comments:

My name is Riet said...

My husband is always talking about Huy, he used to go camping there with the scouts when he was a young boy. He loved it there but it always seemed to rain there. LOL.

Joyful said...

It looks like a charming little town. the streets are very narrow indeed but it would be like wandering for treasures ;-)

Gracie said...

Beautiful place. You know, we were talking, my husband and I, about next year vacation, and I'd really like to come back in Belgium. When the time will arrive to plan the trip I will ask you for some advices if you don't mind.And most of all, if my husband won't change his mind....lol...

Anonymous said...

What a picturesque town! Lovely shots.

Fun60 said...

Itlooks a wonderful picturesque town to wander around and then enjoy a drink in that beautiful square.

claudie said...

Thanks to share with a your trip in Huy!! The place looks beautiful! you certainly had gret great time there!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Lovely old town! Interesting history and a great place to spend the day.

Suhas Naik said...

Amazing town !

Trotter said...

Hi Gattina! It’s great to be back and enjoy your posts!!
Huy is definitely interesting; I only knew it from TV report of the Flèche Wallone... ;)

Blogtrotter Two is now in Dominica. Enjoy the rain and have a great week!

Translate

About Me

My photo
I love writing, traveling and photography. . I am German, married to an Italian and we live in Waterloo (15 km from Brussels) / Belgium since many years. Waterloo is a famous place to many tourists, because Napoleon lost his battle here against Wellington and other European countries.

Followers

Pageviews from the past week

Blog Archive