Tuesday, July 18, 2017

DERRY OR LONDONDERRY

The names of the city and county of Derry or Londonderry in Northern Ireland are still the subject of a naming dispute between Irish nationalists (mostly Catholics) and unionists (mostly protestants). Generally, nationalists favour using the name Derry, and unionists using Londonderry. Legally, the city's name is Derry. But apparently the dispute about the name is still not finished because both names are used. To me it always had been Londonderry as the UK calls it and now I learned something new, but it is still confusing, even Wikipedia is not sure, if you ask for Londonderry, you get "Derry".

From Londonderry or Derry we haven't seen very much during my tour around Ireland. It was raining and the town looked even sad without rain. There were many wall paintings full of hatred, still concerning the "Bloody Sunday". On Sunday 30 January 1972, 13 unarmed civilians were shot dead by British paratroopers during a civil rights. Another 13 were wounded and one further man later died of his wounds. This event came to be known as Bloody Sunday.

In the 70th I remember that we discussed everyday the situation in my office. But I had thought that it was over now. Indeed it is or at least it seems so, but I had the impression that the city is like a volcano and the lava is still boiling. I thought how sad it is that people fight against each other. Now we have the Muslims extremists ! They are all the same and fight in the name of God !

Despite the rain we stopped at the Walls of Derry. Derry/Londonderry is the last remaining completely walled city in Ireland. The Walls were built during the period 1613-1618.

We climbed up the steps and had a wonderful view over whole Derry or Londonderry you have the choice. 




















Monuments in honour of the victims of the Bloody Sunday




"Free Derry Corner" at the corner of Lecky Road and Fahan Street in the Bogside.






and there are more ! Due to the rain I had to "steal" these photos from Google images



If you want to read the whole history of Derry/Londonderry it is here



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some people say in defence of trouble with Moslems, is look at bad it was in Northern Ireland and the bombings etc in London. At least now there is a fragile peace in Northern Ireland but the divide has not been forgotten.

Jackie McGuinness said...

I have been there too but at least the sun was shining!

Fun60 said...

What a pity about the weather. Let's hope that in time the precarious peace will grow stronger. I would hate to return to those dreadful times.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I wonder if once the people of Derry/Londonderry settled on one name, the battle of whose religion should reign would be over.
The View from the Top of the Ladder

Linens and Royals said...

When I was at school it was Londonderry and I was taught a song called the Londonderry Air (not Danny Boy) now I am searching google for the words as I can only remember a few.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

It is a big part of their history, so I suppose you can't blame them for remembering it. But it is too bad that the hate is still there.

Translate

About Me

My photo
I love writing, traveling and photography. . I am German, married to an Italian and we live in Waterloo (15 km from Brussels) / Belgium since many years. Waterloo is a famous place to many tourists, because Napoleon lost his battle here against Wellington and other European countries.

Followers

Pageviews from the past week

Blog Archive