Tuesday, June 11, 2013

LOCH NESS

Of course my UK tour also included a visit to Loch Ness ! And for once the sun was shining and this normally so misterious place, looked cheerful and not spooky it all !



And as evidence that I had been there I dared to sit and pose on the monster !

Some explanations about Loch Ness : it is a large, deep, freshwater loch in the Scottish Highlands extending for approximately 37 km (23 mi) Loch Ness is the second largest Scottish loch by surface area at 56.4 km2 (21.8 sq mi) Its deepest point is 230 m (755 ft), deeper than the height of London's BT Tower at 189 m (620 ft.

It contains more fresh water than all the lakes in England and Wales combined.
Loch Ness is best known for alleged sightings of the Loch Ness Monster, also known affectionately as "Nessie".



And with Nessie started  a discussion in our bus, about this mystery. Of course there is an official version, and several others which you can google, but the most interesting and logical for me was the explanation of a Scot, who told us that probably a circus went by and they bathed their elephant. The weather was grey and dark and the poor elephant looked like a monster. I tried to show you this in the above collage ! Seems to be quiet right, if you are a down to earth person.



This ship took us around the Loch



Nessie sat just besides



We bravely lined up, found a nice place and had the most beautiful views !









Then we arrived near the Urquhart Castle
 








The present ruins date from the 13th to the 16th centuries, though built on the site of an early medieval fortification. Founded in the 13th century, Urquhart played a role in the Wars of Scottish Independence in the 14th century.

Then we continued our tour.









It had lasted about an hour. A little dazzled by all this beauty I had seen, we went off the ship and returned to our bus.



And I had a last glance on this stunning landscape.


14 comments:

A Lady's Life said...

We have our own Nessie in Lake Champlain and we also have ruins in Fort Montgomery on the US border.
Isn't it interesting to have prehistoric animals who still seem to be alive and no one knows anything about them
How about the frozen mammoth in Russia where they actually were able to get blood from. They could even clone another mammoth out of it.

Cezar and Léia said...

ohmygod, you found Nessie! ;)
Amazing article dear Gattina, congratulations!Your pictures are beautiful, the lake images are breathtaking!
Léia

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful views, the scenery is gorgeous. Great sighting of Nessie! Wonderful tour and photos.

Linens and Royals said...

NO! I've never heard the elephant story and I don't believe it.
I believe in Nessie and I know he/she is in Loch Ness somewhere. Are you sure you had a good look??
The scenery is stunning and I love the old ruins and their history.

Dana said...

Beautiful views! I'd love to go there someday.

Have a great Tuesday. :)

Unknown said...

Great tour!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Anonymous said...

Too bad you didn't have the chance to meet Nessie face-to-face....lol...

diane b said...

It looks a lot more beautiful when you were there than when I visited. I guess sunny weather helps make a place look so much better. We didn't do the boat tour but I wished i had now I see your beautiful shots.

A wondering star said...

What a lovely series! I'd love to go there someday too .... Thank you so much for stopping by my blog.

Jorunn Norge

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

It is a beautiful Lake with or without a monster!~

Fun60 said...

So that's what Loch Ness looks like. I've only ever seen it in the rain and mist!

Loree said...

The Loch is beautiful. It does probably look very mysterious when the weather is grey and misty. So many legends about Nessie - but I guess it keeps the tourists coming,

officeprojects said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Beautiful blue skies and lovely shots of the loch.

Translate

About Me

My photo
I love writing, traveling and photography. . I am German, married to an Italian and we live in Waterloo (15 km from Brussels) / Belgium since many years. Waterloo is a famous place to many tourists, because Napoleon lost his battle here against Wellington and other European countries.

Followers

Pageviews from the past week

Blog Archive